Museum Wanderings: The Frick Collection


Today was a gorgeous winter day in New York. My friends and I decided to go visit the Frick Collection in the Upper East Side to get inspired. To be truthfully honest, I just wanted to go visit the mansion-converted museum of Henry Frick. Can you imagine that a person used to live in a house with a inner-fountain room on 5th Ave? The interior was to die for - houses are no longer made this way!


I went in to take another viewing of one of my favorite series of paintings by Jean-Honore Fragonard. It is a series of four paintings originally commissioned by Madame Du Barry, the mistress of King Louis XV of France. My favorites of this series is The Reverie (left) and Love Letters (right).

               

Mostly, I loved these series of paintings because of the style of dress - decadent layers of fabrics in such poofy grandeur. When else would a girl get to wear a hooped skirt and twirl around in swishy layers of fabric? As much as I would love to be able to wear a gorgeously decorated dress as those who lived during France's decadent 1700s but for modern-day working gals, it is simply too impractical. For now though, I can just dream -- like any girl who dreams about pretty dresses to twirl around in ;)

I also love the story of these. The first is the beginning of the romance where the girl is dreaming/fantasizing and the last painting is the end result when the couple is finally able to reach a stable part of their relationship. As you can see, I really only like to focus on the good parts of the relationship - the beginning and the end, haha.

You can get inspiration from anywhere! When you guys get a chance, go visit the Frick Collection!

No comments